Grad Advice

Go Back   Grad Advice > Law School Forums > LSAT® Prep Forum

Old

Default Powerscore v. TestMasters v. Kaplan

Virtual LSAT Proctor DVD
Let's say I have a great big budget and cost is not a factor.

What course has the best strategies?

What course can give me the best improvement from my baseline score of 153?

Anything else I should know in making my decision?
Sponsored Links
Old

Kaplan has the worst reputation. Here is what I know:

You get access to every released LSAT. They give you an "Endurance Book" of like 10 or so to do at home, and you can select whatever LSAT you want to do at the test center. These tests are laminated, however, and you cannot write on them but with an dry erase marker.

You also get a "Mastery Book" that contains all fake LSAT questions to the best of my knowledge. However, it is good to use when you are trying to master a specific question type or get additional practice after having completed all the practice tests.

The Logic Games methods are worthless, but the Logical Reasoning methods are outstanding. Reading Comprehension... is well Reading Comprehension, you can't really teach it.

My opinion: Kaplan is a good starting place and you do get great resources (books and access to all the LSATs). But you have to go way above and beyond what they teach you.

Supplement their Logic Games methods with the PowerScore Logic Games Bible for best results.
Old
Administrator

Yogi's review of Kaplan is very fair. I would still recommend self studying to taking Kaplan, but their course is not without the merits that Yogi described.

As for PowerScore... I have not taken any courses, but it is generally accepted that the PowerScore Bibles, Logical Reasoning and Logic Games, are a must-have in the arsenal of any test taker's LSAT prep material.
Old

Your success with Kaplan will directly correlate with your instructor's teaching ability and general availability. If he or she goes above and beyond the standard Kaplan material, you will benefit greatly.

But if he or she just reads from the method book and doesn't elaborate or explain sample questions in great detail, then you are not going to get much from Kaplan.
Old
Administrator

Also, the LSAT score qualifications required for Kaplan is 163 I believe... while at TestMasters it is a 170.

This might suggest that they have more qualified instructors.
Old

I honestly believe that if you put the time and effort into your class, doing all the homework and some extra practice tests on your own time (in addition to the diagnostics they give), you will see success with any prep company.
Old

Kaplan is very watered down in my opinion - very systematic - in an almost overly bureacratic way.
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSATinator View Post
I honestly believe that if you put the time and effort into your class, doing all the homework and some extra practice tests on your own time (in addition to the diagnostics they give), you will see success with any prep company.
I want to back this up. I started doing full length practice tests and my score went way up.
Old

Default The Mastery book contains REAL questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi berra View Post
Kaplan has the worst reputation. Here is what I know:

You get access to every released LSAT. They give you an "Endurance Book" of like 10 or so to do at home, and you can select whatever LSAT you want to do at the test center. These tests are laminated, however, and you cannot write on them but with an dry erase marker.

You also get a "Mastery Book" that contains all fake LSAT questions to the best of my knowledge. However, it is good to use when you are trying to master a specific question type or get additional practice after having completed all the practice tests.
I know I posted this in another thread, but I want to clear up any misconceptions.

The current 2009 version of the Kaplan Mastery Practice book (and most, if not all earlier versions), contains only real, actual, official LSAT questions.

I think the reason people get confused is because it is true that Kaplan uses/used fake questions in their "retail" books (the ones you can buy at a bookstore). However, the books that they use in the actual Kaplan LSAT course are an excellent source of real LSAT questions...only problem is you have to pay $1,000+ for the course!