Grad Advice

Gradvocates Editing

Go Back   Grad Advice > Law School Forums > Law School Applications

Old

Default LSATinator’s guide to faxing letters of recommendation

Virtual LSAT Proctor DVD
LSDAS Letter of Recommendation Service
For those of you who have not started submitting letters of recommendation, the LSAC LOR service is highly convenient in submitting letters of recommendation because your recommender need only to submit ONE letter of recommendation directly to LSAC, who will then send this letter to EVERY school you apply to.

However…
The method of submission that LSAC recommends is extremely inefficient and takes forever. They recommend that when you ask your recommender for the letter, you give him/her your Letter of Recommendation Form that you print out from LSDAS in addition to an envelope addressed to LSAC with postage pre-paid. That’s right, they want you to use snail mail to deliver your highly important letter of recommendation.

Not only does using snail mail take forever in getting the letter to LSAC, but LSAC will take forever in sorting the mail and processing your letter. In addition, it could easily get lost in the hands of the United States Postal Service, and you could wait weeks and even months for your letter to be processed, even though it never will! Imagine going back to your recommender and asking him/her for another letter because your original one got lost. Your recommender, if you can even get in touch with him/her, will not be happy. Worse yet, imagine planning on submitting your law school applications only to discover that your letter of recommendation was never received.

Solution: Fax it!
That’s right, the best solution that hardly anyone knows about. Just have your recommender fax the letter in.

The LSAC fax number is 215-504-1444

Be sure to ask your recommender to include the Letter of Recommendation Form (which contains your signature waiving your right to see the letter highly important) along with the actual letter of recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Old

Excellent post, thanks for the information!
Old

Thanks! I have read about people having trouble with delays in their LOR getting processed; this seems to solve that problem.
Old

I wonder why this isn't posted on the LSAC website. Maybe the faxing makes more work for them or something.
Old

Muchas Gracias!
Old

Thanks LSATinator!
Old

Can I fax my transcripts to that number too?
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris70 View Post
Can I fax my transcripts to that number too?
Transcripts are more official than letters of recommendation, so I'm going to say no. Your official transcript needs to be sent directly from your undergraduate institution so that they know it's, well, official. lol.

I rarely hear about people having trouble with transcripts and LSAC, but it is very common to have a letter of recommendation problem.
Old

Great info I'm glad I joined this board
Old

excellent information. thanks!